Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Professionals only please.. Can you recommend a good gloss varnish that won't milk up over black acrylic?

I've tried just about everything going including the pure acrylic gloss mediums etc and the various varnishes. I want to maintain the integrity of the blackest black without milking it up. I manage, and I never overwork it, but if anyone has any magic to share, I'm listening!Professionals only please.. Can you recommend a good gloss varnish that won't milk up over black acrylic?
I use minwax products, they should be quite international. This is a very tough polyurethane that wont absorb oxygen as much as it will react with oxygen and wont milk up, turn blue and wont yellow your work either. it comes in a variety of finishes and is very dependable for me, I suggest it to other artists and my students for oils and acrylics and I dont suggest the use of acrylic gloss mediums for any type of painting other than commercial wall finishes because it has such a short lifespan. There are other makers of decent varnishes but minwax is more international in it's sales so you might have a good shot with the product. let me know if you cant get it in aussieland and I'll see if I can send you some.Professionals only please.. Can you recommend a good gloss varnish that won't milk up over black acrylic?
this is what i do, i use pva glue, it works a treat, at first it looks real strange and you think you have made a mess of it. but when it dries its clear. i have been using PVA on my acrylic paintings for years now. since an art teacher thought me the trick when i said my paintings looked so chalky
silly as it sounds, i've used clear wood varnish before and it's worked just fine. if it isn't made of a solvent, it can be painted with using acrylics. satin finishes give a nice, subtle iridescence without affecting the color adversely, but you may want to test that for your own result satisfaction. just make sure you're well ventilated and all should be well. let me know how it turns out for you! ;-)
oh sure that is a sustance called ';Preserve it'; you can get it with gloss or without. It is really the stuff for a proffessional artist to get and not live without. It is great stuff. Your painting won't yellow with age. Other than that there is Kamar Varnish. I have used both of them. Both of them are okay. I am a proffessional artist and have shown my art in a gallery.

No comments:

Post a Comment