Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Does anyone know what medium(s) do I use with acrylic paints for an oily appearance?

I want to do abstract paintings with acrylic paints, but I cannot figure out how to get the results I want. You know how oil looks when dropped into water, beads of oil separate and forms little drops and you can have swirls? I want my paintings to have that appearance. Do I mix any mediums with my paints to achieve that look? I see these paintings, but cannot find out how to get the results I need. Your help will be much appreciated. Thanks.Does anyone know what medium(s) do I use with acrylic paints for an oily appearance?
I would first layer the canvas with a couple coats of gesso, this helps achieve richer colors and can give a nice background for translucent colors.





Then thin down your acrylics with water and paint the oil effect separately from the main picture allowing both to dry. For the little droplets I like using a tooth brush loaded with the color you want (less diluted then the main drop) and draw your thumbnail through the bristles. This is a little hard to control so you may want to use another piece of paper to block the parts you don't want to get it on. Lastly, apply a gloss varnish when it's all dry.





For the project your working on, I would suggest looking into iridescent colors for a really neat effect on a dark background.





Good luck on your painting.


Does anyone know what medium(s) do I use with acrylic paints for an oily appearance?
try this thin down your acrylic and add a few drops of water base Minwax polycrylic protective finish clear gloss don't over mix .

No comments:

Post a Comment