Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I have a 50 gallon acrylic aquarium and I was wondering?

If it is set up on a dresser and the sides are hanging over a tiny bit would that affect the tank at all or cause it to crack?I have a 50 gallon acrylic aquarium and I was wondering?
I would not use the desser because once you fill the tank you looking at a couple hundred lbs. Acrylic is hard to crack for 1 is 3x stronger than glass. To crack it would take a lot. I'm sure how crafty you are but you can build a nice stand with a few 2 x4's and a sheet of plywood. If time is an issue, you can get a stand from walmart for 70.00 but you have to put it together. Bottom line is not to use the dresser because it may not be suitable for the weight distribution. And people its ACRYLIC...NOT GLASS...WHICH MEANS NOOOOOOOOOO SILICONE.I have a 50 gallon acrylic aquarium and I was wondering?
LOL. DUDE it's ACRYLIC not INVINCIBLE!!!. lol. no that is not a good idea to any length. that is alot of weight as well. make sure that the surface that u are putting this tank on can withstand 500lbs. plus.


if u put it on that dresser, u will ruin a beautiful tank.


u r better off buying a stand that is made for it or have a professional mak u a custom stand for you.


good luck.
it will probly cause the tank to crack. i wouldnt suggest it.





my tank is on a bookshelf and the corner hangs off like 2 or 3 centimeters and you can tell it is beginning to crack on the side i am working on moving it to a new location
50 gallons on a dresser huh? You do realize that is 400lbs of water right? Not to mention the weight of the tank and the subsrate. I would probably get an iron stand or something more stable just to be on the safe side.
It's best to have the stand that matches the size of the aquarium. I'm not sure, but if you do it anyway, I'd check the seals and maybe reinforce them before doing so.
It's best to have the stand that matches the size of the aquarium. I'm not sure, but if you do it anyway, I'd check the seals and maybe reinforce them before doing so.


Good luck.
not a good idea.. get a piece of plywood to put on top of the dresser and then the tank..





tiny bit...ya mean maybe 1'; on each side..Nope still too much.
If it's a ';tiny bit'; longer, an inch or two, then it won't damage the tank but I gotta say it will look kind of goofy.
not a good idea here are the reasons why


1) might crack


2) will look tacky


3) might fall if you knock it


4)tank WILL leak

No comments:

Post a Comment