Wednesday, February 10, 2010

How do I preserve a charcoal drawing? Can I spray acrylic?

How should I preserve a drawing done in pressed charcoal and willow charcoal? I have acrylic spray. Will this work? Is there a better fixative to use?How do I preserve a charcoal drawing? Can I spray acrylic?
http://www.ehow.com/how_2100460_apply-sp鈥?/a>How do I preserve a charcoal drawing? Can I spray acrylic?
Yes, acrylic spray is the way to go here. Unless you just want to go out and pay $17.00 for a can of matte Spray fixative ( which is just acrylic lacquer spray anyway ) One thing though, when you fix the sketch, do it from about 2 and a half feet back, that way your skecth will remain pretty detailed and there won't be any wet spots on it.........I use willow all the time, if I don't have acrylic spray fix I just use a can of ';Aquanet hair spray, it's all the same really. Good luck to you.
For a quick fix that is readily available in most homes use hairspray. Be sure to keep at least 6 inches between the can and your work as you spray in even strokes from side to side. The hairspray won't leave a too shiny finish on your work and will keep it safe until you can get something more permanent.
Art supply stores sell a spray fixatif made especially for this purpose.





There are always ';work arounds'; for most problems, but it is still best to use the right tool for the job.
yes Acrylic has worked on all of my drawings, so it doesn't smear and rub together! It protects your drawings charcoal drawings well, just make sure you let it sit for a while after you spray it! hope i could help!
Art supply stores sell something called fixative, I've also used hairspray.The acrylic will make the Charcoal run and you'll have a big mess(ask me)
Any fixative spray should work - I use hairspray myself :)

No comments:

Post a Comment