Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Can I mix my gesso with black acrylic paint to use as a primer? (Artists Only!) ?

I heard you can buy black gesso but I would rather mix my white gesso. What are the problems I may face if I mix my gesso with acrylic paint?Can I mix my gesso with black acrylic paint to use as a primer? (Artists Only!) ?
Gesso is a primer. That's all it's used for. It's not designed to be mixed with regular artist paint. And you only have to use gesso to prime an untreated canvas. You paint over the dried gesso after you use it as a primer. I use black gesso to prime a canvas that I will be painting that has deep, bright, full colors, such as a large abstract. I use white gesso to prime a canvas that I will be painting that has a lot of details, such as a portrait or a surreal painting.





http://pics.livejournal.com/unmired/gall鈥?/a>





Most pre-stretched canvases are already primed with gesso so you don't have to prime them.





If you have raw, natural canvas and are making your own stretches canvases, like I do, then you will have to gesso the raw canvas, fine sand the first coat, then add a second coat of gesso. Most people don't like going through all the fuss of stretching a canvas and priming it themselves so they buy pre-stretched, pre-primed canvas.Can I mix my gesso with black acrylic paint to use as a primer? (Artists Only!) ?
I second that I have mixed black acrylics and just about everything else on earth into gesso as a primer layer, the oldest one is about 8 years old now so I cant really say whether it effects permanence yet, but it does not seem as if it does,





My incredible anal, and amazing 70 year old painting instructor never busted my *** about it either.





You will lose some of that tooth, and it really will be grey, so black gesso is a better method.
there are two problems that could arise. 1. you won't get a deep black, since you are mixing white and black together. You will get grey.





2. gesso has a matt finish, which gives it that nice ';tooth'; to paint on. Regular acrylic is not quite as matt, depending on the type you use.





But I don't think either of these is insurmountable. Since you can paint on top of acrylic as much as you like, and since both paint and gesso are water-soluble and compatible, you should be able to go ahead and mix them if you want.
you can mix acrylic paint with gesso... as long as you use these as primers... gesso dries harder than acrylic so I would avoid painting thick with it...


no problem to use acrylic to tint your gesso.
I tint my gesso with folkart acrylic paint but haven't tried to mix black gesso. The acrylic i use for tinting comes in bottles, not sure tube acrylic would mix as easily.
yes you can.





I have done it with success without any problems.





As an alternative you can always put your white gesso and then put a coat of black al over your canvas.
Using either black gesso or white gesso would be best. Unless you mix it really really well, streaking will occur.
Yep . Done it many times. Good if you want a tinted canvas and it saves you a lot of acrylic paint
  • care credit
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment